- 28 years with NASA, serving in senior positions at NASA-MSFC, NASA-Headquarters, NASA-KSC, and Air Force Space Command. Have been responsible for a variety of functions and duties, including certifying readiness of Teams and Hardware for Human Space Flight.
- 7+ years in Industry, serving as Senior Associate, Director and General Manager … often holding multiple roles at once. Leading teams and organizations and delivering multi-million dollar wins in commercial and government sales in Engineering Services and Flight Hardware DDT&E.
- Proposal Manager for RUAG Space USA (RSU) first major Gov’t contract win in US (NASA - $49M and growing) and acted as PM to start up Flight Hardware development project.
- Acting General Manager for extended period for RUAG Space USA, responsible for all US Sites and leadership at Decatur Manufacturing & Denver Engineering during major program win (USA) and flight hardware CDR with United Launch Alliance.
- Developing a $1B+ Pipeline for Teledyne Brown Engineering (TBE) Space Systems commercial and civil sales including international proposals and follow on work.
- Leading TBE capture on a major Prime opportunity ($60M) while overseeing the capture teams for multiple smaller proposals for TBE (both as a prime and a sub) and leading the development of a Commercial Space Imaging (CSI) Business & Marketing Plan for TBE that resulted in the first Commercial imaging system on ISS.
- Developing new Booz Allen Hamilton business opportunities within NASA and doubled the number of contract vehicles and footprint at MSFC.
- Serving as a detailee to NASA Headquarters for the Exploration Systems Missions Directorate. After the roll out of the President’s FY10 Budget, led or participated in all major re-plan activities associated with Constellation cancellation and Exploration standup, focusing on the Space Launch System (SLS) and working closely with all the major primes.
- MSFC lead for the use of Exploration Heavy lift for science missions to Europa and Mars Sample Return.
- Leading NASA's support to the USAF Operationally Responsive System (ORS) Program startup (serving as deputy PM), including the Analysis of Alternatives (AOA). This required significant interaction with the Air Force Research Lab (AFRL), Air Force Space Material Command (SMC), and the Aerospace Corporation, resulting in ORS becoming an operational Program with the USAF.
- Managed NASA-MSFC team to a successful delivery for launch of the ISS Material Science Research Rack (MSRR) after a 6-month erosion of schedule and budget.
- Test Director for two major successful Spacelab missions that flew on the Space Shuttle (STS 40 and STS 47).
RUAG Space USA (RSU), Huntsville, AL
2016 – Present
DIRECTOR OF BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT; GOVERNMENT PROGRAMS
ACTING GENERAL MANAGER
- Market Lead across all RUAG Space for Government Clients. This include all 3 RUAG Space Product Groups for Electronics, Spacecraft and Launchers and developing business leads with NASA, NOAA and DoD
- Acting General Manager for RUAG Space USA (RSU) during critical preparations for first flight article processing for Atlas V and SLS Universal Stage Adapter Project (SLS-USA) Initiation
- Fourth US person hired at RUAG Space USA … now at 100 + employees and growing
- Twice assumed full responsibility for all US M&S activities (Gov’t & Commercial) while engaged in hiring of Commercial BD counterpart
- Proposal Manager for RSU’s winning proposal with Dynetics for the SLS - USA ($175M total contract value) – NASA’s launch vehicle to the Moon and Mars. RUAG was the only Significant Teammate on the proposal and our workshare ($51M) has grown by $6M+ since win. This was RUAG Space’s first Cost Plus Government contract.
- Successfully led the negotiating team to develop a favorable contract with Dynetics for the SLS-USA. Fully positioned RUAG to be non-competitively awarded sole source supply for SLS Separation Systems … worth $2-3M per flight in sales.
- While BD Director, have provided significant leadership as US Gov’t sales SME. Worked with Austria, Switzerland and Sweden M&S teams for hardware proposals on NASA’s PACE, Europa and DART missions.
- While GM, realigned Decatur team to develop direct functional interfaces in Zurich for all functional elements, turned around performance issues in supply chain and revised the functional management approach of Finance and Contracts. Based on extensive hardware DDT&E experience as ‘hands on’ engineer at KSC & MSFC, performed assessment and out briefed CEO on Flight Hardware Development and Manufacturing techniques in place.
- Led executive teams for client engagement at several major market events (including Space Symposium – the largest national aerospace conference in the US). At the last symposium, over the course of 4 days, RUAG Space had over 75 meetings and I was personally responsible for the theme and agenda and chaired over half the meetings with active follow up and pursuit.
- Successfully introduced RUAG to John Hopkins Applied Physics Lab and NASA’s Goddard Center (resulting in being added to approved suppliers list) and raised RUAG Space’s presence with Boeing and LockheedMartin (engaged with both to develop LTAs).
- With departure of Commerciale Space BD counterpart, have assumed responsibility for Account Management of Ball, Northrup Grumman/OrbitalATK, RocketCrafters, SNC, and Stratolaunch, in addition to ongoing Account Management for Lockheed Martin, Dynetics, Aeroject/Rocktedyne, Ball and APL, JPL, NASA and DoD.
- Serving on Senior Tiger Team developing RUAG Space USA’s strategy for evolving to a full NASA/DoD supplier, meeting all FAR and DFAR Business & Accounting requirements, as well as being able to handle sensitive and classified data. Leading DoD Market study to assess market value, barriers to entry and investment strategy for marketing and sales.
Teledyne Brown Engineering (TBE), Huntsville, AL
2013 – 2016
DIRECTOR OF BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT; COMMERCIAL AND CIVIL SPACE
- Market Lead for Space Systems, including all NASA Center’s, DoD and Commercial Space as well as Commercial Space Imaging (CSI).
- BD lead for the startup of the CSI business line at TBE, including the development of the Business & Marketing Plan for the Multi-User System for Earth Sensing (MUSES) that currently flies on ISS.
- Managed the Team responsible for all phases of the capture process that ranged from opportunity identification & market shaping through proposal development and support to execution.
- Upon hiring, assumed BD responsibility for the successful capture of the Space Launch System (SLS) prime contract for the Launch Vehicle Spacecraft Adapter (LVSA) - a contract value of $60M.
- Upon hiring, assumed TBE Capture Lead role for the recompete of the Integrated Mission Operations Contract (IMOC II) at the Johnson Space Center (JSC).
- Assembled State and local Gov’t funding (and Industry contributions) and awarded Prime contact for the Phase 1 study for Sierra Nevada’s (SNC) Dreamchaser vehicle to use Huntsville airport as a commercial landing zone. Resulted in first commercial airport being licensed for Dreamchaser and SNC’s designation of Huntsville as its Commercial landing site
- Responsible for the development of a business pipeline for TBE that covered $1B+ in opportunities over the 5 years in civil and commercial space as well as international work.
Booz Allen Hamilton, Huntsville, AL
2011 – 2013
- Market Lead for NASA (Marshall Space Flight Center & Stennis Space Center) for developing and capturing new opportunities. Successfully competed for MSFC Engineering and Solutions Prototype (ESP) and MSFC Integrated Program/Projects Support Services (MIPSS) procurements. Developed teaming relationships with Engineering and Science Services and Skills Augmentation (ESSSA) prime contractor, resulting in Booz Allen Hamilton work at the Center.
- Manage the execution of engineering and institutional services to ensure successful delivery associated with current NASA market through growth of task order delivery and new business capture.
- Provide market and career leadership to the contingency of Booz Allen Hamilton staff currently on site supporting MSFC through prime and subcontract support
- Lead and collaborate across the other NASA markets and for opportunities at NASA-Headquarters and Kennedy Space Flight Center.
NASA, Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville, AL
DIVISION CHIEF, EXPLORATION AND SPACE SYSTEMS OFFICE; TS/SCI Clearance
- Division Chief of the Exploration and Space Systems Division in the Science and Mission Systems Directorate. This division included 70+ Civil Servants and 120+ contractors with an annual operating and acquisition budget of $105 M
- Responsible for the development and implementation of the technical content, budget, and schedule for MSFC delivery of Constellation (CX) and ISS hardware and technology. All projects were on schedule and budget and delivered hardware had no technical issues.
- Developed internal Flight Readiness Review process, resulting in increased management visibility into ISS hardware.
- Setup & Chaired the NASA Standing Review Board (SRB) for the Earth Systems Science Pathfinder (ESSP) Program, reporting directly to the NASA Associate Administrator.
- Served as a detailee to NASA Headquarters for the Exploration Systems Missions Directorate. Served as Program Executive Officer (PEO) for ALTAIR and Ground Ops. Responsibilities included budget, schedule, and content oversight, presented to Level I quarterly for status and day-to-day integration with Level II. After the roll out of the President’s FY10 Budget, led or participated in all major re-plan activities associated with CxPO cancellation and Exploration standup, including Heavy Lift Program Technical (HLPT) review, first Users Conference, OMB Progress Briefs, and resulting SLS formulation into the next budget and operating plan.
- Oversight for MSFC’s role in the development of the Mars Ascent Vehicle as part of the Mars Sample Return candidate mission architectures.
NASA, Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville, AL
INTEGRATION MANAGER – EXPLORATION LAUNCH PROJECTS
BD MANAGER – SPACE TRANSPORTATION
TECHNICAL ASSISTANT; STPPO, NGLT, AND 2ND GEN RLV PROGRAMS
- Led the Ares Project Integration Team that included oversight and day-to-day leadership of the Project Integration Team and Project Information Management Team.
- Chaired the Project’s external review activities, including the Project’s Independent Review Team, Standing Review Board, and Government Accounting Office audits.
- Served as Business Development Manager for Space Transportation with responsibility for negotiating teaming agreements with all of the Crew Exploration Vehicle prime contractors during their respective proposal development.
- Led several major technical integration efforts, including the large joint NASA-AF 120-day study of Operationally Responsive Spacelift (ORS ONE Team), a multi-center, multi-agency study, which included an Extended Temporary Duty (ETDY) tour to AF Space Command to provide closure to the study.
- Detailee to the AF Space Command Headquarters for the NASA technical team supporting the Air Force ORS Analysis of Alternatives (AOA) and served as Deputy PM.
NASA, Kennedy Space center
1996 - 2000
ISS Element 5A Hardware Integration Manager; Secret Clearance
- Supervised a team of engineers responsible for the end-to-end review of assembly, test, verification, and checkout of the ISS US Lab.
- Aided in the implementation of an integrated resource-loaded scheduling and planning process at Boeing-HSV.
- Integrated NASA test team members into all aspects of Boeing's sub-system and Lab functional checkout processes including Boeing's request for one employee as the lead test conductor for the Lab's Command and Data Handling (C&DH) System.
- Developed a schedule assessment model to estimate schedule growth based on historical data and inferences.
- Lead the NASA operations and test assessment of multiple replanning efforts, and provided Boeing input for replanning.
- Routinely presented to ISS Program & NASA Senior Leadership reviews including Daily Stand-Ups, Weekly ISS Management Review and Monthly/Quarterly/Annual Programmatic Assessments.